Wiz Quiz - Classics
1) In 218 BC Hannibal, the Carthaginian general, crossed the Alps with thirty-seven elephants. Where was he going? Switzerland, France, Italy.
2) Tripoli is the capital of Libya. Which people founded Tripoli? the Phoenicians, the Greeks, the Romans.
3) Why did ancient Greeks visit Delphi? to take part in chariot races, to collect the Olympic torch, to consult the Oracle for advice on the future.
4) Aphrodite (Venus) the Greek goddess of love was born at Petra tou Romiou in Pafos. Where is Pafos? Sicily, Greece, Cyprus.
5) Which city was besieged by Agamemnon of Mycenae and Menelaus of Sparta? Troy, Argos, Delphi.
6) Who wrote about the legendary travels of Odysseus in The Odyssey? Euripides, Aristophanes, Homer.
7) The first marathon was run to take news to Athens of an Athenian victory over the Persians. Which statement is NOT true? the battle took place at Marathon, the runner was called Marathon, the word marathon recalls the distance run from the battle to Athens.
8) Cicero described Syracuse as the largest and the loveliest of all cities. Where was the Greek city of Syracuse? Greece, Spain, Sicily.
9) Which ancient Greek wrote the oath that is still sworn by newly qualified doctors? Hippocrates, Aristotle, Pythagoras.
10) Alexander the Great invaded and conquered Persia, Egypt, parts of India and Afghanistan. Where was Alexander king? Italy, Macedon, Troy.
11) The Romans conquered all Italy, Greece, much of Western Europe, Spain, Africa and the Middle East. To which Roman province did Portugal belong? Luisitania, Mauretania, Aquitania.
12) The Roman Emperor, Septimius Severus, was born in the city of Leptis Magna. Where was the city of Leptis Magna? Libya, Italy, Spain.
13) This country belonged to the Roman region of Dacia. Italy, Romania, Switzerland.
14) The Romans invaded Britain in 43AD. Which part of the country did they not subdue? Wales, Scotland, Northumberland.
15) Which tribes were overrunning the Western Roman Empire by the end of the fifth century AD? German tribes, British tribes, Swedish tribes.
Click here for the answers
WIZ Quiz content from World InfoZone educational website.
We would like to thank the following for the use of the photographs: Mark McLeod, University of Delaware; the Canadian Tourism Commission (Tourism New Brunswick); the South African Tourism Promotion Agency; the Finnish Tourist Board and the Saudi Arabian Embassy (London).